Cheddar, Bacon, and Fresh Chive Biscuits2015-03-10
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 12
- 6 thick-cut bacon slices Pork, cured, bacon, raw
- 3 3/4 cups bread flour Wheat flour, white, bread, enriched
- 1 1/2 Tbs baking powder Leavening agents, baking powder, double-acting, sodium aluminum sulfate
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda Leavening agents, baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp salt Salt, table
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus melted butter for brushing
- 2 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces) Sauce, NESTLE, CHEF-MATE Sharp Cheddar Cheese Sauce, ready-to-serve
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives Chives, raw
- 1 3/4 cups chilled buttermilk Milk, buttermilk, fluid, cultured, lowfat
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper Spices, pepper, red or cayenne
- Honey (optional) Honey, strained or extracted
Position rack just above center of oven and preheat to 425°F. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat liners. Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, then chop coarsely.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in processor; blend 5 seconds. Add butter cubes. Blend until coarse meal forms, about 30 seconds. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl. Add cheddar cheese, fresh chives, and chopped bacon; toss to blend. Gradually add buttermilk, stirring to moisten evenly (batter will feel sticky).
Using lightly floured hands, drop generous 1/2 cup batter for each biscuit onto prepared baking sheet, spacing batter mounds about 2 inches apart.
Bake biscuits until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Brush biscuits lightly with melted butter. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve biscuits warm or at room temperature with honey, if desired.