Spicy Spaghetti Carbonara2015-03-15
- Cuisine: American
A spicy twist on an Italian classic. This recipe serves 6
- 9 bacon slices chopped Pork, cured, bacon, raw
- 1 Tbs butter Butter, without salt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/1/2 ounces) Cheese, parmesan, grated
- 4 large egg yolks Egg, yolk, raw, fresh
- 12 ounces spaghetti Spaghetti, dry, enriched
- 2 cloves garlic clove, minced Garlic, raw
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced Pickles, chowchow, with cauliflower onion mustard, sweet
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce
- Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese Cheese, parmesan, grated
Combine bacon and butter in heavy large skillet. Saute over medium heat until bacon is brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Saute over medium-low heat until translucent with light brown edges. Remove bacon fat from the skillet until 2 tbsp remain. Set skillet to side to cool. Whisk cream, 1/2 cup grated cheese, and egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Whisk the onion mixture into the cream mixture. Set cream mixture aside. Finely chop and blend bacon and chipotle pepper in a food processor.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta the pasta and return to same pot. Add cream mixture to pasta. Toss over medium-low heat until sauce cooks through and coats pasta thickly, about 4 minutes. Mix in bacon mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm with additional cheese on the side.